[AccessD] Using Excel from Access

David Emerson davide at dalyn.co.nz
Mon Jul 14 23:10:26 CDT 2003

At 14/07/2003, you wrote:
>Hey to the group,
>
>I am working with a new client. they asked me to provide a front end to some
>Excel sheets. I told them it should not be too difficult. Of course I asked
>them why the whole project could not be moved to Access and was told "the
>CFO is very comfortable w/Excel", a common response according to discussions
>at our local Access group breakfasts. They did agree that once I completed
>the project, they would not change anything in the sheets (oh yeah!).
>Well most of it is just a matter of linking to the sheet and treating like a
>table. But one of the tasks is to recreate a viewable/printable version of
>one of the sheets and not let the user see the calcs behind any of the
>cells.
>
>Now for the question:
>Can I get a hold of the calculation/formula behind a given cell in a sheet
>thru automation?
>
>Once that is accomplished, I think I can supply a solution for them.
>
>TIA,
>
>Bob Heygood

Bob,

In Excel, start recording a macro, then select a cell with a calculation,
copy, then paste special and select the Values option.  Now stop recording
the macro and go and see what was recorded.  This will show you the
commands you need to automate the task.

Regards

David Emerson
DALYN Software Ltd