[AccessD] OT: Finders fees anyone?

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Jul 16 08:32:33 CDT 2003

Gary,

>> I have no experience with this, but that seems to be a generous amount.
But
if they can get you working when you haven't been. You can adjust your rate
to compensate at some point I suppose. I'd be concerned that you get onto a
long term gig or one project that leads to another and you keep having to
pay the finders fee.  But if they really CAN find you work, I guess it is
worth paying for. And as long as you are not obligated to pay them for work
you find on your own, when things get going again, you can walk away from
them. I'd be interested in how long after your relationship with the search
firm ends until you are free to work at a client without having to pay them.
Say if you get work through them and do the job. You finish it and go on to
another job - maybe through the search firm, maybe not. Then six months
later, the first client calls you back directly and asks for enhancements or
a completely different project. Are you still obligated to pay the search
firm? Be careful and read the contract. <<

All very good points. We intended to set a time limit of a year, say, during
which any contracts we sign with the staffing firm's clients would fall
under the finder's fee agreement. And, if the project lasts for a long time,
the finder's fee would be payable only over a two year period, perhaps. As
far as any new work that came from that client apart from the initial
project, that's a good one. When does the finder's fee arrangement end?

The key question you ask is, can this scheme really find us new work? That
is our hope. Colby said that 85-90% of something is better than 100% of
nothing.

Thanks, Gary.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits." - Mark Twain