[AccessD] Future of Access?

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Wed Jul 16 10:57:31 CDT 2003

I'd agree with Gustav about going web based though.  That immediately
resolves remote end users.  I personally use Access 97 .mdb's, with VBScript
(for Intranet users) and ASP (but I can make most stuff strictly ASP, so no
client side scripting is necessary).

Going web based may even ride out an OS change, because you can just keep a
web server running on it's own.  The only issue would be a complete change
in TCP/IP, which I think is far more unlikely then a big shift in OS design.
(With the exception of the 5 byte IP Address...to handle more
connections....).  Also, what many people don't realize that is that web
based solutions are using WAY over powered.  I crunched some numbers on our
web server.  It hosts http://www.marlow.com .  First of all, it is running
on a PIII gigahertz processor, with 384 megs of RAM.  Not a whooping
machine.  In fact, it wasn't even the top of the line desktop when we bought
it 2 years ago.  However, with an average of 280 unique visitors a day, the
webserver is using 9.8% of the systems processing time.  That is a drop in
the bucket.

Drew