[AccessD] Broken References in Runtime AXP

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Wed Jul 16 23:44:57 CDT 2003

Charlotte,

If by "repair a broken reference" you mean its resolving on runtime and when
runtime version of MS Access is used then this should be possbible. I did
that with Access97 using custom profiles:

http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/shamil_s/topics/diffstp.htm
http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/shamil_s/topics/refrefs.htm

The same is still valid for MS Access XP - see its online help's excerpt in
P.S. - RefLibPaths is a the main keyword:

HTH,
Shamil

P.S. AccessXP help excerpt:
<<<<
Show All

Set a Reference to a Visual Basic Project in Another Microsoft Access
Database or Project
See Also Specifics
Each Microsoft Access database (.mdb or .adp) includes a Visual Basic
project. The Visual Basic project is the set of all modules in the project,
including both standard modules and class modules. Every Microsoft Access
database (.mdb or .adp), library database, or add-in contained in an .mde
file includes a Visual Basic project.

The name of the Access database and the name of the project can differ. The
name of the Access database is determined by the name of the .mdb (or .mda
or .mde) or .adp file, while the name of the project is determined by the
setting of the Project Name option on the General tab of the ProjectName -
Project Properties dialog box, available by clicking ProjectName Properties
on the Tools menu in the Visual Basic Editor. When you first create a
database (.mdb or .adp), the database name and project name are the same by
default. However, if you rename the database, the project name doesn't
automatically change. Likewise, changing the project name has no effect on
the database name.

You can set a reference from a Visual Basic project in one Microsoft Access
database to a project in another Microsoft Access database, a library
database, or an add-in contained in an .mde file. Once you've set a
reference, you can run Visual Basic procedures in the referenced project.
For example, the Northwind sample database includes a module named Utility
Functions that contains a function called IsLoaded. You can set a reference
to the project in the Northwind sample database from the project in the
current database, and then call the IsLoaded function just as you would if
it were defined within the current database.

To set a reference to the project in the Northwind sample database from
another project:

  1.. Open the Module window.
  2.. On the Tools menu, click References, and click Browse in the
References dialog box.
  3.. In the Files Of Type box, click Microsoft Access Databases (*.mdb).
  4.. Locate the Northwind.mdb file. If you've installed this file, it will
be in the \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Samples folder by default.
  5.. Click OK.

You should now see "Northwind.mdb" in the list of available references in
the References dialog box.

Notes

  a.. Set a reference to the project in another Microsoft Access database
when you want to call a public procedure that's defined within a standard
module in that database. You can't call procedures that are defined within a
class module or procedures in a standard module that are preceded with the
Private keyword.
  b.. You can set a reference to the project in a Microsoft Access database
only from another Microsoft Access database.
  c.. You can set a reference to a project only in another Microsoft Access
2002 database. To set a reference to a project in a database created in a
previous version of Microsoft Access, first convert that database to
Microsoft Access 2002.
  d.. If you set a reference to a project or type library from Microsoft
Access and then move the file that contains that project or type library to
a different folder, Microsoft Access will attempt to locate the file and
reestablish the reference. If the RefLibPaths key exists in the registry,
Microsoft Access will first search there. If there's no matching entry,
Microsoft Access will search for the file first in the current folder, then
in all the folders on the drive. You can create the RefLibPaths key by using
the Registry Editor in Windows, under the registry key
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\version\Access. For more
information about using the Registry Editor, see your Windows documentation.