[AccessD] OT: email

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Jul 17 17:36:24 CDT 2003

On 17 Jul 2003 at 10:21, jcolby at colbyconsulting.com wrote:

> There is no way to determine if an email address is a valid address.  If it
> is in my blacklist it stays there until I decide it needs to be removed.
> Without any blacklists, SpamAssasin will get about 80% of the spam.

Does Spam Assassin do Bayesian Logic filtering and if so are you
training it on the 20% that is getting through?

With Popfile or K9 (neither of which rely on external Blacklists)
after a bit of training you should get well about 80%

Most people seem to get 98-99+% accuracy in email identification as
good/spam after a while.

Note: that is not the same as 98-99% of spam correctly identified
(With 50% spam and no false positives, an 80% spam detection is a 90%
overall accuracy) But with the proportion of spam you are getting,
I'd expect it to be better than your current 80%.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg