[AccessD] SQL Svr BE + Access FE vs. SQL Svr BE + Web FE?

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Fri Jul 18 09:38:51 CDT 2003

There are quite a few things you can easily do in Access that are quite
difficult in a web UI (unless said web UI is built on .NET or java). If you
want to minimize costs and maximize your talents, my recommendation would be
an Access FE with a Terminal Services box that the California users connect
to. They will experience all the speed the Chicago users see, because in
effect they ARE in Chicago. All that is transmitted to California is the
difference in screens between then and now. The app runs in Chicago.

This solution is easy and relatively cheap. Depending on the number of
remote users, you might need to kick the TS box up to a GB or two of RAM,
but at today's prices that's pretty cheap.

Arthur