[AccessD] OT: ASP.Net editor

Haslett, Andrew andrew.haslett at ilc.gov.au
Mon Jul 28 23:32:53 CDT 2003

Keep at it John!!

Everything you've said is understandable and valid.

>> A little explanation would go a long way towards allowing me to wrap my
arms around
the whys.

I really think you should have a look at www.learnvisualstudio.net site. Bob
takes you through every aspect of VS from beginning to end, in easy to
understand examples.  He also delves into the languages themselves, how they
work and best practices for each.  There is even a workbook with exercises
to work through to get familiar with it all.

I can send you a few of the videos if you like, which Bob encourages
subscribers to do. I showed them to my boss -> he signed our work up for a
years subscription and is now allowing me to code our new projects in .NET -
if you know our boss that takes some doing!!

That said, .NET is a completely new technology and one can't expect to pick
it up instantaneously or even get a good understanding in a week or so.
Coming from an ASP background (VBScript), VB as well as VBA in Access, I
thought I would grasp it straight away, however it took me quite a while to
become competent in the language and its best practices.

VS.Net is the first IDE that I trust to do some of the coding for me.  I've
never been confident with using the MS designer tools that came with other
products such as Visual Interdev or Frontpage, and they quite rightly have a
bad rep in these areas.  But VS.NET is a whole new ballgame and they've put
in an excellent effort to save coders the trouble of repetitive tasks, and
make us more productive.

I know I sound like an MS rep here, but once you get the hang of it, those
20 lines of code should take you 1 or 2 minutes rather than 30.

Cheers,
Andrew