[AccessD]OT: C# was no-ip.com

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Tue Jul 29 02:22:51 CDT 2003

That will be probably true.

C# / .NET is no big deal in Europe (not yet).
A friend freelance developper (bodyshop) whom works for big institutes
in the financial world was absolutly convinced about c#/.net. It a great
developersenviroment. This is what he said about 1,5 years ago when he
was developing an internet interface for an Access app I wrote. It was
against my will in C# because I don't believe in new technology until
proven (and I can't program in c#)...
But it was MS and it was the folow up for Visual Interdev. In the back
of my mind I knew I had to go there and he convinced me. He wanted to
write this as a test case and a reference to higher up his price in
bodyshopping market...

A couple of months ago he told me that he quitted developping in C#,
because no demand, because MS was way to late on the market with this
product.

Every major company has been developping in Java since a few years
because of no equivalent in the market (at that time).
MS does not push the .NET platform enough in to businesses. Plus big
businesses have same attitude as me. Proven technology first. There is a
big disadvantage for .NET. You need a at least a 2K server (or WS on
small scale).

Did you compared the price of a stupid Linux server and W2k or higher
server?
As I recall MS also announced to change the license policy for the IIS
server for what concerns .NET, 1 internet user 1 license... I can be
wrong with this but I do recall to have read something in this kind. I
believe the Linux hype has made them change there mind.

I'm not pro Linux, infact I don't like it, had to work a couple of times
with it, and I feel myself in the dark ages of DOS 1.1 (thats as far as
I go) again when working with the OS.
But I must admit, they have created a huge market and there are some
pretty nice webservers out there. And all the tools are for free. And
thats why PHP/MYSQL is so dominant on the market.
What do you thing all those kids work with during education? W2K/IIS or
a linux server?
I had a student asking me for Turbo-Pascal because they can't offord
some current languages in school.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like PHP, MYSQL, Linux and others because,
because, because, I don't know, but I don't like it.
Probably because it's free, and I lost my confidence in free stuff (no
such thing...).
Probably because most of the stuff I hear from Linux/PHP/MysQL comes
from those Internet Wiz kids who are telling so much inconsistancees...
Like PHP is secure because it open source., there are no Virusses on
Linux, etc...
The last one we already (we as in DOS/NT people) know, everyone should
know that when you have an OS, you gonna have virusses...

The first one (secure 'cause opensource) I find funny.
If someone uses that as an argument I always ask, "Did you checked every
program line to see if any trojan Horses are embedded in the code?". I
never got a "yes" as an answer.
I wonder if someone puts a trojan horse in 30000 lines of code, if
anyone would notice that?
Probably there will be some geek, but would anybody (low cost users)
care it's in there?
Some people rather like to die then pay for something.

And to conclude, it's my believe today that Java is and will stay the
dominant player for serious web developping.
It's is also my believe that there is a gigantic Internet market for
less serious developping, I would guess 60% of the total market, and
that will be for the wizz kids (that have now an age around 30) and low
cost apps.
And than you have those SME businesses that want a serious develoment
but the application is to 'minor' or the budget is to low. Typecally our
(Access) market, and what are whe gonna use? Seems evident to me. .NET
and probably VB.NET.
Why? Lower entrence. You seen C# code? Pff I not gonna start with that.
Just give me my plain old basic. Proven technology you know. Always been
there, always will be there and everybody knows it...

And if you have made it to this line I would like to felicitate you to
keep on reading my kr*p...

Huumm, I feel better now :-)

Erwin