[AccessD] Update Query Problem in Access 2000 ADP

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue Jul 29 09:26:52 CDT 2003

>> How do you use stored procedures ?

Depends upon what you want to achieve. In essence, there are only 4 kinds of
sprocs -- Insert, Update, Delete and Select. Of course any given sproc could
have many commands in it, and create variables, temporary tables and other
objects.

When A2K was released, I dove headlong into ADP projects using SQL 2000 and
loved it instantly. For one thing, compared to the classic FE/BE paradigm,
ADP/SQL positively screams. If you want to learn this stuff, I suggest...

1. Find a copy of Susan Harkins / Martin Reid's "SQL: Access to SQL Server".
2. Once SQL is installed, fire up the Northwind ADP file (I think it's
called Northwind_CS.adp). (You may have to run a SQL script to get it
working correctly. It's been a while and I forget the precise recipe.)
3. Run the upsizing wizard on some existing project. Susan and Martin
recently wrote an article on upsizing. I think it was on Builder.com. One of
them may chime in with the URL to get you there. There are issues, so read
the article carefully. Once you've upsized a project, you can start swapping
SQL objects for Access objects. For example, take a simple form bound
directly to a table and create a sproc that SELECTs * FROM yourTable. Then
just type in the name of the sproc in the form's recordsource property, and
you should have equivalent functionality.
4. In more complex forms (i.e. with subforms) I suggest that you make the
subform record sources Views rather than Sprocs. This way you make Access do
the work. The parameter handling is a little tricky and you can live without
it for a while, until you're comfortable.

Arthur