[AccessD] OT: C#

Ron Allen chizotz at charter.net
Thu Jul 31 12:15:25 CDT 2003

Charles,

I am now developing in C#. Learning it to the point that I
have (IOW, not all that well yet) has been a fun
experience. On the fun scale, I'd say it falls somewhere
between having a cavity filled without anesthetic and
pushing a power drill with a 1/8" bit through your hand. I
can say this with authority, because I have had both of
those experiences <g>. There is tons of information out
there, but seemingly not much on day-to-day simple stuff
or, if it is out there, its hard to locate.

Just my opinion, but gotnet.com is not that great a site,
especially for those new to the language. It could be, if
it was better organized and had more on basic information.
I've had better experiences with

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/
http://www.codeguru.com/csharp/index.shtml
http://codeproject.com/?cat=3
and best of all
http://www.syncfusion.com/FAQ/WinForms/default.asp

C# is, like it or not, beginning to gain ground in the
corporate world. I didn't particularly want to get away
from Access/VB, but when my shop went to .NET the official
language of choice became C#, not VB.NET. Why? Lingering
unjustified anti-VB bias, mainly.

I sent a message suggesting a Database Advisors C# list,
and received a blunt rejection of my message. Obviously,
someone doesn't want to deal with it here. Just as
obviously, to me, is that as time goes by more and more of
us are going to be working in C# whether we really want to
or not.

Ron Allen