[AccessD] OT: photo size on web site

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Jun 3 21:38:42 CDT 2003

On 3 Jun 2003 at 22:21, John Colby wrote:

> LOL.  I saved them as JPEG, compressed waaaay down from the original (about
> 1/10th the original file size).  The original was a 3.2 mpixel at about 1.5
> mbyte.  The pictures on the site are about 150 kbytes.  Any more compression
> and they look horrible.  The compression and file size has nothing to do
> with the pixels though.

> The way it was explained in something I read is that since the image is 2048
> x 1536 pixels, if the user downloading the picture is displaying 800x600,
> only a very small part is going to display on the screen, requiring
> scrolling.  Thus I need a method of constraining the display in a frame
> inside my site, where the entire image will be automatically sized to fit
> inside the frame.

As I said, you can set the width and height of the image and it will
be scaled to fit.

BUT  you are still storing/downloading  a 2048 x 1536 pixel image and
squeezing it into a box.  The methods used to scale an image in an
HTML browser are designed to be quick, not good. They are only
displaying about 1 pixel in 13 and not doing a very good job of
selecting how to display that one.  All they do is generally is
resize by throwing away 12/13 pixels.
If you resample  using a good program which will apply an appropriate
resampling filter, you end up with a much better result.

As a rule of thumb. Resize/resample first to an appropriate size for
your application, then compress.  You will get far better results in
much smaller files than by compressing first and then trying to
resize.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg