[AccessD] OT? - Certification

Wortz, Charles CWortz at tea.state.tx.us
Wed Jun 11 09:47:56 CDT 2003

Vlad,

As a former college professor, I also notice that many of these "so
called Highly Qualified Graduates" are not only "regurgitators of info"
with "no people skills whatsoever" but also have no analytical skills.

At most of the colleges and universities that I taught at I was the only
Computer Science faculty member that had any real-world experience as a
programmer/analyst.  And I was the only one that designed my tests as
problems to solve, not multiple-guess or fill-in-the-blank type tests.
I wanted my students to learn how to analyze and solve problems, not
regurgitate data, which a trained monkey can do.

One of the reasons I quit teaching is I got tired of butting heads with
departmental chairs and school deans that didn't understand there was a
difference between theoretical knowledge and practical knowledge and
that the graduate from a bachelor level program needs to have some
practical knowledge if he/she is to expect to find a job in the real
world.  Only about 1% of the students could hope to become clones of
their professors, they rest needed to be able to survive in the real
world.

Charles Wortz
Software Development Division
Texas Education Agency