[AccessD] OT: the "Education" system

Martin Reid mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Wed Jun 11 12:30:18 CDT 2003

I take a Degree class for the University and I made it a "real life" this is
how its done in work type of course. I have ran into the most unbelieveable
arrogance from academic staff who have never earned a penny from computing
and yet teach many of the core subjects. I am more interested in my students
being able to do it as opposed to telling me how it should be done but
actually unable to do the work when faced with a keyboard.

My students are required to have 6 mths programming experience before I get
them. Of course as I use VBA and .NET the faculty teach them Java they will
not permit me to take an intro course in either .NET or VBA to prepare them
for the stuff I wil be doing with them.

I have had more than one row with academic staff at Board of Examiners
meetings. I am on the faculty board and I have no Degree myself, something
they think should have restricted my participation in such things.

Martin