[AccessD] Access 97 causing CPU useage 100% in W 2000

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed Jun 18 17:08:48 CDT 2003

I forgot where I found this but it pretty well condenses the issue down to
readable.

Access 97 Shows 100 Percent CPU Usage
SOURCE OF INFORMATION
This article is a condensation of a Microsoft Knowledge Base article

Condensed Information
ACC: Microsoft Access Shows 100% CPU Utilization During Idle Time (Q160819)

Summary
When you use System Monitor in Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98,
and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) or Performance Monitor in
Microsoft Windows NT and Microsoft Windows 2000 to track CPU usage,
Microsoft Access 97 (the program that runs IRMS) is reported to use 100
percent of CPU resources even though it appears that Microsoft Access is
idle.

Cause
During idle time, Microsoft Access continuously polls its message queue to
check for keyboard and mouse activity.

More Information
Microsoft Access was originally designed to operate in the cooperative
multitasking environment that Microsoft Windows 3.x provides. The idle
processing code built into Microsoft Access was designed to ensure that
Microsoft Access does not begin processing background tasks during brief
periods of inactivity, such as when a user pauses between keystrokes. In the
preemptive multitasking environment of Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me,
Windows NT, and Windows 2000, this idle processing code causes Microsoft
Access to use 100 percent of CPU resources briefly during idle time.

Microsoft Access polls its message queues for activity for about the first
30 seconds of idle time. During this time, Performance Monitor reports that
Microsoft Access is using 100 percent of CPU resources.

NOTE : Microsoft Access only uses CPU resources that are idle. If your
computer has other processes that are ready to run, it will run them.
Microsoft Access does not degrade performance of other applications as it
polls its message queues.

HTH
JB