[AccessD] Access 97 causing CPU useage 100% in W 2000 - multiple instances

Mark H lists at theopg.com
Thu Jun 19 02:59:57 CDT 2003

Hello

>>Can one do this within one database easily?

I've done the multiple instances thing and lost hair over it. It is
possible but there are a lot of potential traps (for example you can't
rely on a forms name as there may be more than one so I used its hwnd
value and cycle through the forms collection looking for it). Also,
depending on your set up you are limited in the number of open databases
/ tables. On my Office 97 setup I can get about 18 - you need to set
your limit to less to allow for any other activities that may be
triggered. I set mine to 12 to be safe. I have had much higher numbers
using XP and MSDE though :o)

It does get very hairy, I also went grey :o( It can also put you in a
position where your users make a mess of the data or place too heavy a
demand on the database by leaving stuff open all the time...

If you want an example of some code let me know and I will send it off
line...

Good luck

Mark