[AccessD] Subform Errors

Doug Murphy doug at murphyscreativity.com
Sat Jun 21 18:11:29 CDT 2003

List,

I have an Access 97 database and am having a problem with a
form/subform.  The main form holds data for the parent record and the
subform shows data for the child records for the parent; a typical
design.  The subform is based on a semi complex query that has some
calculations in it that sum some cost fields for each record.  There are
several hidden calculated text boxes on the subform that perform further
data aggregations for several fields from each record.  I refer to these
fields in controls on the parent form to show their value.  Hopefully
this description isn't too confusing.

The problem is that the forms work correctly when the main form is first
opened in design view and then switched to form view.  When the form is
opened in this fashion and a record selected from a selector combo box
all fields function and calculate correctly.  If the main form is opened
directly to form view and a record selected the calculated controls
contain "error". If I then switch the form to design view and back to
form view it works correctly.  There is very little code behind these
forms and nothing on a form event except docmd.maximize on form
activate.  This is the first time I have run into this situation.  Why
would the form behave differently based on whether it was first opened
in design view or directly into form view?

Doug