[AccessD] SQL Question

Mark L. Breen subs at solution-providers.ie
Tue Jun 24 15:05:26 CDT 2003

Hello Martin,

I am wondering whether this is a once off, or a query that you will have to run regularly.  In other words, how much effort does it justify

If it is once off, you may be able to synthisise another column that will allow the following which was copied from BOL

SELECT Year,
    SUM(CASE Quarter WHEN 1 THEN Amount ELSE 0 END) AS Q1,
    SUM(CASE Quarter WHEN 2 THEN Amount ELSE 0 END) AS Q2,
    SUM(CASE Quarter WHEN 3 THEN Amount ELSE 0 END) AS Q3,
    SUM(CASE Quarter WHEN 4 THEN Amount ELSE 0 END) AS Q4
FROM Northwind.dbo.Pivot
GROUP BY Year
GO

If the data is changing and you need it dynamic, you could create another column, or create a dynamic column count for each address to gain a 1,2,3,4,5 could.

Again, without knowing how much data and how much time will be spent to solve it, it is hard to say whether it is worth creating temp tables, populating them and then selecting the data from them.  You could do that and use an increment to help id the addresses

Let us know more details,

I guess that if it was Jet you would use a  simple cross tab

Mark