[AccessD] Access Run Time?

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Sat Jun 28 05:47:44 CDT 2003

Hi

Some "fast out of the fist" tips...

1) You can install the runtime without an app.
Download the limited runtime from MS. (smaller package without IE5).

2) You can run MDE and MDB.

3) Multiple things to watch out for.
a) You need a user interface (menu).
b) Lot of basic functionality is not available, most buttons are not present
in runtime like filter, sort etc.
c) you need error trapping in EVERY function/sub routine. Every error that
is not covered by a error trapping results in Access terminating (crash).
d) You will get reference problems. If you notice that basic funtions like
date() are not working you have a broken refenrence. For example your app
was build with a reference to word 10 and the client pc has word 9. solve it
to reference by default to word 9. if you have word 10, it still works.
e) I had problems with rowsource properties.
For example if you have a listbox for which you change the rowsource
(sqlstring) dynamicly from code.
If you leave the properties (when saving the form) empty then your listbow
will not work.
A valid rowsource needs to be present on listboxes, etc..
f) watch out for controls. If you use controls like the calender control you
need to install/register those to. This can be easely solved by using the
package wizard in the developer kit.

And a good advice.
First try on one (not already contaminated) pc.
I mean a pc that has no development software etc. A pc that represants the
biggest part of your computerpark.
Test all special stuff like word/outlook/excel connections etc.
Watch out for calculated errors /date function not working.
Take a look at all forms/reports where you use controls (like calendar
control, gauge bars etc..).

Hope this helps.

Erwin