[AccessD] Database in an Unexpected state..., or Calling all DB minds, we have a suspect database...

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Mon Mar 3 12:36:01 CST 2003

: A little background...
:
: The client is not mine (honestly he's not).  A client of my brother in
law,
: who has a networking company, "had" a database who was built in Access
2000.
: It was not broken up into the FE/BE method, instead each user (4 users in
: all) had a link to the database and worked that way... I don't know the SR
: version of Access or the SP's of their Windows OSes... :( sorry.  Anyhow,
: One Fine day (Saturday) the owner of the db went to open it from his
machine
: when it suddenly crashed.  He called on my Brother in law to fix his PC
and
: get his database up and running the "EXACT" error word for word is this...
:
: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
: Microsoft Access
: ------------------
: This database is in an unexpected state; Microsoft Access can't open it.
:
: This database has been converted from a prior version of Microsoft Access
by
: using the DAO CompactDatabase method instead of the Convert Database
command
: on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu).  This has left the
database
: in a partially converted state.
:
: If you have a copy of the database in its original format, use the Convert
: Database command on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu) to convert
: it.  If the original database is no longer available, create a new
database
: and import your tables and queries to preserve your data. Your other
: database objects can't be recovered.
:
: [OK]
: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
: so what did we try?,
: 1) /decompile (not successful)
: 2) could not repair and compact from inside access because of the above
: error
: 3) jetcomp 4 utility (not successful)
: 4) attempted to open it w/ AccessXP (curtesy of William), (Not successful)
: 5) /repair from the command line (idea from John Colby) (Not successful).
:
: While the Database has now been restored from over 3 days ago (Wednesday
: last week) I realize restoring this copy of the database seems moot, but
in
: many ways perhaps not... I'd like to know the solution in case I ever run
: into it again...
:
:
: -Francisco