[AccessD] Intermittent #Deleted Records

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Fri Mar 7 11:10:00 CST 2003

Folks,

A database I have worked on has an intermittent problem.  This is a main
form and a subform in Access XP.  The database is split FE/BE.  The subform
is continuous and has a table as its recordsource that is on the many side
of a 1-many relationship with the table that is the record source for the
main form.  The database is set to individual record locking and is also set
to edited record.  The table for the subform is also on the 1 side of a
1-many relationship for four other tables.  Every table has a primary key
based on an autonumber, and that primary key is the only index on each
table.

The problem is that, sometimes, when someone changes existing information in
one of the comboboxes on the subform, the entire record in the subform
immediately has all of it's information in every field changed to #Deleted.
A search of the MSKB under #Deleted found information that suggested this
happens when an Access FE is using a SQL BE, but no discussion of an Access
FE using an Access BE.  We have been able to trap an error which indicates
that we are trying to do an rst.update without first doing an rst.edit, but
since the forms are bound to the tables this doesn't make sense.  Also, the
code behind the subform comboboxes doesn't lead to any other code which
edits and updates a recordset.

Any suggestions on what the next steps could be would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan Waters
Quality Process Solutions