[AccessD] [dba-SQLServer]Need to create PDF Print Server

Mike and Doris Manning mikedorism at ntelos.net
Tue Mar 25 13:40:05 CST 2003

We would like to create our own version of a PDF Print Server.  Basically,
we want to pass information (report name, parameters, requestor name) to our
SQL Server via a sproc.  We then want SQL Server to generate a PDF file
which will then be stored in a designated place on the network for pick up
by the calling program.

Getting the info to SQL and generating the PDF is already handled.  Figuring
out how to tell SQL Server when there is info to be processed is the issue
we are trying to make a decision on.

My thoughts so far are:

1) Create an Insert Trigger that fires a DTS ActiveX script to open an
Access session (if not already open), process anything in the file and shut
down when there are no requests.  Question here is when control would return
to calling program?
2) Create a DTS schedule to start up a "monitoring" database which would
operate during normal business hours.  Question here is how to handle
after-hour needs.

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Mike and Doris Manning
mikedorism at ntelos.net
manning7 at shentel.net