[AccessD] OT: Server Needed

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Mar 3 11:00:00 CST 2003

Hi Rocky

For that scenario "anything" will do.

I would recommend a brand name entry level server with onboard SCSI
controller which allows for direct mounting of a tape drive for
backup. These machines comes with a three year on-site warranty which
will bring relief to your client while covering your .ss.
Some of the newer models (HP ML 310) comes as standard with Gigabit
network adapter, very nice.

Drew is correct that close to any machine can run this. We have a
client who runs a FileMaker database for 20 users off a 300 MHz HP
notebook. It works and backup is to a DLT drive on an IBM NetWare
server. But it doesn't mean that this is the first choice solution to
recommend for anyone else. As a pro you have to start at a pro level,
then - out of necessity - the client may have to decide for a lower
level; this, however, wasn't your decision, that's the difference.

/gustav