[AccessD] default values for combos with lists

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Mar 4 21:17:00 CST 2003

MessageUhhh...

There really isn't anything further.  I was rebuilding my report filter form
for my billing app.  This form uses combo boxes to allow me to select
filters (in this case) for binary fields, pull all records where "something"
is true, false or "All".  In order to do this, I didn't need any table, just
a value list.  I created the combos and then tried to set the default value
to False (it just happens).  Not billed, Not paid etc.  I thought that the
default value of 0 would cause a false to display, default value of -1 would
cause True to display etc.  It didn't work that way.  -1 didn't display
anything.  0 caused a true to display.

The combo was set up for a two column combo with the first combo width = 0
(hidden), with the "list" of values simply -1;True;0;False;*;All;  Had those
values been pulled from a table, the a default value of -1 would have caused
the True to display, a zero would have caused a False to display and so
forth.  In this case, with a list of values, a 0 was causing a True to
display.  Notice that POSITION 0 is a true.  IE

-1;True
0;False
*;All

-1;True is the zeroth position in the list and a zero in the default value
caused that to display
0;False is the 1st position in the list and a 1 in the default value caused
that to display
*;all is the 2nd position in the list and a 2 in the default value caused
that to display.

It all makes sense in a warped "Access" kind of way, but it was unexpected
and caused me a bit of head scratching before I figured out what was
happening.
John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

----