[AccessD] MDB-File format

Henry Simpson hsimpson88 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 6 16:20:00 CST 2003

There was a group of people working on this some time ago.  The fellow at
ttoews at mvps.org address once provided me some information about these people
but the project was a rather extensive work in progress based on the Access
97 file format at the time.

I've found that if the data isn't encrypted, you can open the file with
wordpad and find text strings in data fields and module code.  Of course the
compiled code is incomprehensible.  If you want to document the file
structure, start with an empty database, then compare with a database with
one table of one field.  Add an index.  Add another field.  Start over with
a field of a different type.  Try a linked table.  Add a module.  Wordpad
will get you started with where to point a hex editor as you compare files
with single changes from one version to the next.

I once had a tables only database that at one point in time had some record
processing code that I moved to a application and deleted from the back end
file.  Two years later, after several hundred compacts, repairs and the
such, Wordpad still found the text of the module.  There was no getting rid
of it even with a decompile which is something I don't ordinarily do with a
table only file.

Unfortunately, the format is proprietary and I have read that the anti virus
software and data recovery companies have some of the best information about
the format and they reveal nothing to the populace.

Hen