[AccessD] Access XP and 97 hang on reattaching linked tables under WinXP

Eric Goetz EricGoetz at EGIsystems.com
Thu Mar 6 18:39:00 CST 2003

Hi Charlotte,

I'm not sure if you've solved your hang problem yet. Did you?

I had a problem with mysterious hang conditions with linked tables with fe/be mde's in the same directory with both Access XP and 97. I went through months of trial and worked with MS support for weeks trying different configurations and updates. In the end, it turned out to be path length! Apparently, I had buried the directory under too many subdirectories. I moved the directory closer to the root directory, and I haven't had a single hang in months!

Good luck,

Eric

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Charlotte Foust [mailto:cfoust at infostatsystems.com]
	Sent: Mon 3/3/2003 2:38 PM
	To: AccessD at databaseadvisors.com
	Subject: [AccessD] Access XP and 97 hang on reattaching linked tables under WinXP

	We're beating our heads against this one.  Under certain specific circumstances, both Access XP and 97 will hang running under WinXP.  The circumstances are that Outlook is running (either 2000 or XP) and you toggle to the Outlook application during a portion of the operation when Access is trying to reattach files using an instance of the current database opened in a second DAO workspace.  I'm trying to track down anything on this problem and haven't had much luck.  There are articles about the ODBC drivers in multithreaded environments, but they seem to apply more to SQL Server links and are supposed to be fixed by the latest installation of Jet 4.x.  Not on my machine, they aren't.

	Does anyone have any more information on this issue?  We're also getting reported hangs after an email is sent by our application on a client's WinXP machine, but we haven't been able to replicate that.  The primary suspect in both cases is Outlook, even though we use the Redemption library to bypass the direct MAPI calls.

	Suggestions?

	Charlotte Foust