[AccessD] Word Automation

Brett Barabash BBarabash at TappeConstruction.com
Tue Mar 11 17:26:14 CST 2003

Aha, I see!
I've experienced the same behavior you mentioned, so as a result I never use
Access tables/queries as a mail merge data source.  I use a delimited text
file instead, and use good ol' file I/O in Access to write the records to
the file.

As for cross-version compatibility with this method, how about Access 2.0
merging to Word 2000 documents?  Works like a champ!

-----Original Message-----
From: John Bartow [mailto:jbartow at earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 3:32 PM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: RE: [AccessD] Word Automation

Hi Brett,
I'm just putting out feelers here. I don't remember this being discussed
before and I usually preview at least the subject lines of AccessD mail but
it could've been one of those subject lines that never dies where the
discussion just keeps changing. I'll check the archives.

Mail Merge does work good if you're on the same versions of Word and Access.

Otherwise it causes some (minor to me) irritations that are not to well
recieved by end-users. I sell these apps to customers and they don't like
all kinds of dialog boxes popping up, it "scares them" :o)

-If you have W2k and A97 it will intially want to convert the DB. After you
say no the first time you're OK but a lot of end users just freak out!
-It will pop up another instance of the Access DB where the merge data is
coming from (sometimes the extra process closes with Word and somtimes not)

-W97 and W2k can't read an A97 MDE data source it has to be a MDB
-W97 can't read the A2k format

so for these issues you have to jump through all  kinds of extra hoops
converting the data to a format W97 can read.

I wish I could jsut make them all have the same version but I'm not that
good...

JB