[AccessD] Report criteria using form

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Mar 12 16:57:00 CST 2003

The query will be puttin quotes around the string  in txtDepartment so your criteria will
end up as something like
 Like '"2 West" or "Education"'    (note the single quotes in there)
or
Like "2 West or Education"

The simplest way around it is - don't set any criteria in the underlying query. Have it just
report all Departments. Then set the criteria when you open the report

strCriteria = "Like " & txtDepartment
DoCmd.OpenReport "MyReport",acViewPreview,,strCriteria

Just make sure you do use quotes around anything like "2 West"

What I tend to do in cases like this to avoid the problems of users getting the quoting
syntax wrong is create a listbox with "Extended Mutiselect" and fill it with all possible
department names.  That way the user can just select the departments he wants.
I use something like:

Dim lngLoopcount As Long
Dim lngItems As Long
Dim strItem As String
Dim strOr As String
Dim strDQ As String
strDQ = Chr$(34) 'Double Quotes
For lngCounter = 0 To lstDepartments.ListCount - 1
If lstDepartments(lngcount).Selected Then
   lngItems = lngItems + 1
   strItem = lstDepartments(lngcount).ItemData
   Replace strItem, strDQ, strDQ & strDQ ' take care of any double quotes in Dept name
   If lngItems = 1 Then
      strCriteria = strDQ & strItem & strDQ
   Else
      strCriteria = strCriteria & " or " & strDQ & strItem & strDQ
  End If
End If
Next