[AccessD] OT: Buying a PC for Developing Software

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 12 18:57:01 CST 2003

Myke

1) ...everyone with a Bellsouth account is being bounced ...Drew is working
on the problem which has existed since late Feb now :(

2) ...I like Dell for clients but they don't sell what you spec.

3) ...I still build my own development systems because its the only way I
can get exactly what I want ...try the Atlanta Computer Show that runs at
least monthly ...deal with a local vendor at the show and you can get
exactly what you want assembled and tested while you wait for around 10%
less than you can find it anywhere else.

4) ...service contracts are passé ...PCs are now commodity items ...the cost
of a service call can often run more than the PC cost ...build it yourself
and you won't need a service contract.

5) ...I use AMD cpus ...don't have anything against Intel's except the
premium you pay ...AMDs have proved to be extremely reliable and compatible
ime. HTH :)

William Hindman
"The tree of liberty only grows when watered by the blood of tyrants."
Bertrand Barère de Vieuzac--a Frenchman