[AccessD] Painted into a corner

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Thu Mar 13 07:55:00 CST 2003

ORDER BY doesn't do it, because I can only seem to be able to use
"Findings" or "Count" and these don't do it for me. "Findings" is the
default anyhow, and "Count" would be of no use. Just as an FYI...it was
news to me anyhow...I was able to use "ORDER BY Findings" after the
first select statement and after the last, with the same results. I
guess this makes sense.

Also, it occurs to me that I may not be clear in what I want. I want
this:

Findings				Count
ADC				79
CASES W/NO ERRORS FOUND	102
CASES W/NO ERRORS FOUND ADC	28
CASES W/NO ERRORS FOUND HR	27
CASES W/NO ERRORS FOUND MA	23
CASES W/NO ERRORS FOUND NPA FS	24
DENIED / WITHDRAWN		104
DENIED / WITHDRAWN ADC		24
DENIED / WITHDRAWN HR		27
DENIED / WITHDRAWN MA ONLY	26
DENIED / WITHDRAWN NPA FS	27
GRANT REDUCTION		102
GRANT REDUCTION ADC		27
GRANT REDUCTION HR		25
GRANT REDUCTION MA		24
GRANT REDUCTION NPA FS		26
HR				79
MA				47
MA ONLY				26
NPA FS				77

To look like this:

Findings				Count
CASES W/NO ERRORS FOUND ADC	28
CASES W/NO ERRORS FOUND HR	27
CASES W/NO ERRORS FOUND MA	23
CASES W/NO ERRORS FOUND NPA FS	24
DENIED / WITHDRAWN ADC		24
DENIED / WITHDRAWN HR		27
DENIED / WITHDRAWN MA ONLY	26
DENIED / WITHDRAWN NPA FS	27
GRANT REDUCTION ADC		27
GRANT REDUCTION HR		25
GRANT REDUCTION MA		24
GRANT REDUCTION NPA FS		26

CASES W/NO ERRORS FOUND	102
DENIED / WITHDRAWN		104
GRANT REDUCTION		102

ADC				79
HR				79
MA				47
MA ONLY				26
NPA FS				77

* The spaces aren't necessary...I am just emphasizing the different
groupings.

I have basically decided to present what I have to them...I have really
got to get this off of my plate, even if I have to come back to it
later. I have all the data they need, only it isn't in the format that
they are used to. I think I have actually gotten more caught up in it
than I needed to. They don't seem that picky, but I don't like not being
able to do something, which is my problem, and I don't have time to be
this way right now.

I would like to thank everybody for their help though...my skills as an
Access/VBA programmer have grown so much, and it is directly linked to
my participation on this list.

Thanks again!

John W Clark

>>> scott.marcus at ae.ge.com 03/12/03 01:42PM >>>
John,

Check out the queries I gave you earlier for doing this all in queries.
You see
that you can add a constant to each of your queries in the union that
will sort
the types within your groups(each sub-query). It looks like this...

SELECT '1' as Major, query1.*
FROM query1
UNION
SELECT '2' as Major, query2.*
FROM query2

Drew is correct. Add the ORDER BY clause to the last query in the
union.

Scott