[AccessD] OT: Buying a PC for Developing Software

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Mar 13 12:01:29 CST 2003

Myke,
  IF you are going to build your own masterpice, I recommend you do a little
research... right now your TOP OF THE LINE chipset mb's for AMD are the
NForce2 chipset based systems, any will do from any manufacturere.  For
Intel the top contender right now is their native intel chipset or SIS.  As
for noise, I have an AMD XP +2000 (1.667ghz) w/ a Volcano 7 cooling fan, and
THAT is the noisy part of it, Recently I've been checking out cooling
solutions such as the "Alpha PAL8045" it is very nice, multi-pin forrest and
if you combine it w/ a whisper quiet fan you should be good. On average my
CPU runs about 104F.  When I'm running processes intensive software such as
converting a Video or Playing a 3D Game I've seen it go as Hot as 113F but
no more than that.  I've included some links that I hope you find useful in
your search for the perfect development system.  On the whole I don't have a
problem with Dell, except to say that you'll NEVER know how much faster an
AMD pc would be unless  you go over to your friends house to find out he
Runs 100 more things at once with less lag on his AMD based system :D.

All things PC related :
http://www.tomshardware.com/
http://anandtech.com/

CPU Cooler review, Very nice :D
http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

Motherboard Links
http://www.motherboards.org
http://amdzone.com/
http://intelzone.com/

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com

On Thursday, March 13, 2003 5:24 AM [GMT-8],