[AccessD] OT: "Chevaux de frise" of free world...

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 14 14:32:00 CST 2003

 It was an agreement set up in 1985 between France Germany and BeneLux
countries to close
down border posts and allow free travel, no customs checks and
immigration, don't know about residency. It has been expanded to other
EU countries like Spain.

In the small border town Schengen in Luxembourg in 1985, France,
Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg entered into a cooperation
agreement to realize the free movement of persons. This was to be
achieved by abolishing checks of persons at the borders of these
countries. In addition, they decided to strengthen checks at the
external borders and to initiate far-reaching police cooperation, on
landing your name goes in the SIS (Police & Interpol) database.

The Convention implementing the Schengen Agreement, which contains
provisions on practical measures to implement the Schengen Agreement
entered into force in 1995. When a Member State fully applies the
Schengen Convention and has removed its border controls in relation to
other Schengen states, that country is an operative member.
 Which countries participate in Schengen cooperation?

Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, France, Germany, Belgium,
Netherlands, Luxembourg, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy and Austria.

Ireland and the United Kingdom participate in certain parts of Schengen
with cooperation only and they will continue to carry out checks on
persons at borders. Come to think of it last time I was Ireland they had
customs at Northern Ireland border and roving police checkpoints 50
miles further south. Maybe it was just the "Troubles". Some other
countries are due to sigon in near future like Czech republic and Slovakia.

Under the Schengen rules you must verify your identity when staying at a
hotel, boarding-house or camping ground in a Schengen state. The type of
identity document you will be required to present varies and is decided
by each country. This may mean you need to have your passport with you.

 US and Canada dont need visas for short stays under 90 days in Schengen
countries, but if say you land in Paris and travel on to Switzerland
(non-schengen) you need an air transit visa from France, if say the
arrival and the departure takes place in 2 different airports
(Paris-Roissy and Paris-Orly), so it is wise to check ahead with
consulate or really trust your travel agent.

  I carry two passports EU and Canadian so I don't bother with this a
lot. You can get an EU passport in certain EU states if your paternal
 grandfather was born there. I just went through the rigamarole of
renewing my EU passport this week, 10 years ago I paid 20 pounds now
it's $165 CDN.     sheesh....