[AccessD] Combo force drop down UNDO

Software Design & Solutions Pty Ltd. SDSSoftware at Optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 25 21:21:08 CST 2003

David - it sounds like your form is quite similar. Are you forcing the drop down to display after the first 2 chars are entered? That forcing of the drop down is what's mucking up the behaviour of the combo.

I have put this combo on the very front menu (as there may be 20,000 clients), so that users can zero into the record they want straight away. They then hit a 'Go' button to open the appropriate client detail record.

What's wrong with the drop down list still being displayed? It *feels* like you haven't made a selection, because normal combo behaviour would be:

1. Click on drop down arrow (or F4) to see options.
2. Click on an option.
3. Option selected appears in control.
4. The drop down disappears.

When the 4th part doesn't happen it goes against expected behaviour and is confusing.
And because this combo has a wide drop down (5 columns) it really is blocking the users from seeing other menu options.

They have to find a blank place on the menu and click there to get rid of it.

I could forget about forcing the drop down, but as there is no record source until 2 chars are entered, it looks great to enter 2 and then the list populated and displayed automatically.

Kath
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David McAfee
  To: 'accessd at databaseadvisors.com'
  Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 2:19 PM
  Subject: RE: [AccessD] Combo force drop down UNDO

  Kath, I have a very similar form which acts the same way. I have to look up
  PNs and if I didn't limit the result set by not calling the SPROC until I
  have at least two characters in my combo box, I'd have a lot of PN's in that
  combo box!

  Anyway, after I click on the combo, I (or the user) clicks on another field
  or hits tab to leave the field, so the combo at that points hides the drop
  down, so why go through the work of trying to hide it? What does the user do
  next on your form after selecting something from the box? Is there an OK
  button? I am just trying to visualize what's going on.