[AccessD] OT:Building your business was... Rate for first time

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Thu Mar 27 14:58:58 CST 2003

I'm not an independent.  I work full time as a salaried developer and
contract and consult on the side.  In my previous job, I actually worked
as a contract employee for the feds, but my employer was the contractor,
so I had the best of both worlds ... until they lost the contract.  I
could have stayed on with the new contractor but knew it would never
work because I have a bad habit of saying exactly what I think,
regardless of how exalted the other person thinks they are. <vbg>  So I
went out and found myself this job.  I've been lucky so far.  As soon as
one job begins to pall, I fall into another that gives me new experience
and that I like even better.  At the same time, I sometimes work for a
company that provides contact employees, but that is strictly part-time
when it occurs.  I have a friend who is a project manager, so she finds
projects and then gets them to add me on as the database person on the
project.  As long as I can work evenings and weekends, it works
beautifully.

Charlotte Foust