[AccessD] OT:Building your business was... Rate for first time

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 27 17:56:05 CST 2003

MessageMarcus

...its a constant, never ending process that you really have to work at ...you have to set aside time almost every day to "market" yourself, something that doesn't usually come naturally to those of us who gravitate toward database development as a career choice  ...buy a copy of "Guerilla Marketing" ...its an inexpensive staple at every bookstore and worth its weight in gold a thousand times over ...at least it has been for me :)

...I do a bi-weekly newsletter for both current and past clients ...bugger together a few relevant articles off the net and cut it down to their level ...put in a few personal bits to give them that warm, fuzzy feeling ...some relevant humor ...usually one page double sided ...takes no more than an hour or so but you'd be amazed at how it keeps your face in front of them ...and past clients are the very best resource you have for capturing new clients ...as well as new work from them.

...I also just "drop by" whenever I have a few minutes and am in the neighborhood ...never impose, never stay long ..."how're things going ...blah, blah, blah" ...you know them, they know you ...its not like selling something ...but I always leave a few cards ...and ALWAYS touch bases with the 2nd level while you're there ...if the Secretary likes you, you can bet others there will ...between the newsletters and the "drop-ins" I manage to get more than enough referrals to replace the work that is at its end ...and the work you get by referral usually commands better prices because someone they know has already vouched for your work (which is the primary reason you never cut your hourly rate ...it gets passed on along with every referral ...cut your hours if you must but never that rate) :)

...advertising has rarely worked for me ...couple lines in the Yellow Pages will get you a few calls and less work ...the net is filled with people buying work at rates that won't feed the cat much less me so I've never used it for marketing.

...startup can be rough ...if you can't afford some dry spells you shouldn't look to consulting for a living ...make a list of everyone you know ...then let them know you're looking for database development work ...it can be absolutely amazing who you don't know that your friends do ...and lucrative :) ...volunteer your time with non-profits but always invoice them for it with your hourly rate and an N/C notation ...they have a LOT of contacts ...make them happy and they'll help you along the way ...just remember to be patient ...the people who work for non-profits tend to have disconnects with the real world ...so treat them just as you would any other business even though you're not getting paid ...get it in writing ...spec the job as well as remedies for any changes along the way ...else you'll never FINISH that gratis work and build the type of relationship you need to turn them into a referral system for you.

...just my experience ...others certainly have succeeded doing just the opposite ...just remember to have a bit of fun along the way ...otherwise you might as well be drawing that steady paycheck and bennies :)

William Hindman
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war."