[AccessD] Replication - A2K

John W. Colby jcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Thu Mar 27 20:23:37 CST 2003

I'll have to brush up on the terminology again.  Indirect being dropping
"files" into a shared directory, as opposed to trying to actually perform
the replication "live" into the BE?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of David Emerson
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 9:08 PM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Replication - A2K

John,

I have had experiences with two replicated databases.  One on a local lan,
the other replicating via dial up network.  Both in A97.  According to
Arthur, A2K (Jet 4) is more stable.

My main experience on the lan was that the database corrupted
frequently.  All the research I could find pinned it down to a faulty
network but I am not a network techo so I had to leave it to the IT
department.  Eventually we ended up converting to SQL.  However, the
corruptions were due to the BE being on a server.  In your case if the BE
is on the local machines (and the users don't need up to date information)
then indirect synchronization should work fine (as opposed to direct
synchronization - fewer opportunities for corruption across the network.

Regards

David Emerson
DALYN Software Ltd
25b Cunliffe St, Johnsonville