[AccessD] OT:Building your business was... Rate for fi rsttime

Lavsa, Rich Rich_Lavsa at pghcorning.com
Fri Mar 28 12:34:36 CST 2003

I agree with Jim on that one.

I have a quick little motivating story to pass on, hope it helps a little.

I was out with some buddy's of mine having a few beers and ran into an
engineer who needed a database built for Document Control.  We started
BS'ing and well he made me an offer.  Keep in mind I was still a student in
college but told him of my Access experience and he offered me $100/hr to
develop, on the spot without even checking my resume, grades, prior access
applications, or contacts.  And that was in the Low cost of living city of
Pittsburgh.  As I mentioned it was over a few beers and though it would
never solidify into anything, I mean after all we all have made great
promises and told great stories while holding a beer in our hand.  That is
until I got an email Monday from him asking when we can sit down and talk
about what his requirements were, and what he expected out of the
application.

I haven't done a side project since I landed a full time position but
imagine I could do it at the same price without a problem.  The money isn't
as good being Salaried, but it is nice to have benefits, and a steady
paycheck.

Rich