[AccessD] SQL vs DAO -- rattling cages

John W. Colby jcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Mon Mar 31 11:39:27 CST 2003

Susan,

I think this is a non-debate.  MS tells us that SQL will perform faster than
DAO, and ADO performs even slower than DAO (for MDBs).  The problem with DAO
at any rate is that you have to set up loops to work with the data set a
record at a time.  SQL performs operations on sets of data "all at once".

I have no idea why SQL or DAO would make a difference "bloatwise".

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Susan Harkins
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 12:27 PM
To: AccessD at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: [AccessD] SQL vs DAO -- rattling cages

Charlotte and I are having a brief discussion off list of how SQL can solve
some bloat problems. Now, I find SQL superior to DAO/ADO almost everytime
and would rather work in SQL if given the choice. However, I have seen
discussions about performance right here on this list -- do any of you think
DAO/ADO performs faster than SQL? If so, can you provide some statistics?

SUsan H.