Record Locking - was RE: [AccessD] Desperately Seeking!

Wortz, Charles CWortz at tea.state.tx.us
Fri May 2 09:50:22 CDT 2003

Marcus,

If more than one person is trying to update the same record at the same
time, it sounds as if you have poor business procedures in place.  In an
organized organization two or more people do not to try to update the
same record at the same time!

Now that we have disposed of the business problems which you are
probably not in a position to solve, let us tackle your technical
problems.  With unbound recordsets you do not have exclusive access to
the records and you cannot lock the data until the user makes their
changes.  If you need to allow users to hit against the same data, then
you need to bind and lock the data until the first user is done.  If you
stick with unbound recordsets, then limit the recordset to only one
record.  That limits the possibility that somebody else is trying to
update the same record.

Charles Wortz
Software Development Division
Texas Education Agency