[AccessD] Numbering Different Criteria

Hollis,Virginia HollisVJ at pgdp.usec.com
Thu May 15 07:32:53 CDT 2003

I need to set up a way to assign sequential numbers based on different
criteria.

The first part of the number is a document number, it can be either AB1234
or CD6789, the next part is for the Engineering section (C for Civil,
M-Mechanical, E-Electrical). So the numbering scheme would be:

AB1234-C001 (tracking number - section, sequential number)
AB1234-C002
AB1234-M001
CD6789-E001
CD6789-E002
CD6789-M001

The numbers also contain revisions and change letters. If I want the next
Civil number for document tracking number AB1234, it would be:

AB1234-C003, Rev 0, Ch 0 (document number - section, sequential number,
revision, change)
then AB1234-C003, Rev 0, Ch A
or AB1234-C003, Rev 1, Ch 0
AB1234-C003, Rev 1, Ch A

I thought if I could have the form select the tracking number & the section,
I could use a query to designate what the next sequential number would be
based on the tracking number & the section. Then I couldn't get the two
different criteria to work together.

   ' Find the record that matches the control.
    Me.RecordsetClone.FindFirst "[DocID] = '" & Me![cboDocNum] & " AND
[Section] = " & Me![cboDocNum] & "'"

Now I got to wondering how I would handle the Revision & Change Letter. Any
ideas how I can put all this together?

Virginia