[AccessD] Desperately Seeking!

Marcus Tewksbury tewksbum at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 09:13:42 CDT 2003

First Off, thank you to everyone for contributing your thoughts - it is very
much appreciated.  Let me see if I can account for this and reformulate...

1st.) The notion of deploying multiple copies of the .adp versus one
centralized one to limit the # or recordsets is retarded.  My line of
thinking was one application = one recordset, but that can't be right,
right?  The application would create new recordsets for each user as they
went.

so, I think my problem/solution deals more with the recordset maintenance
itself.  I'm going to try and break this down into over-writing, and
viewing.

Over-writing:  Yeap - I had been using optimistic locks.  I did a pretty
good job of abstracting the code so it will be easy enough to change the
records to pessimistic.  I'm also going to play around with running "at the
client" and "at the server"

Viewing:  Inside the app I want the users to be able to see deletions,
additions, etc. made by other users.  Which I presume means I am going to
have to Refresh my recordsets.  Is anyone familiar with ODBC refresh rates?
Should I periodically issue Refresh methods on the recordset?  How does a
refresh compare to a requery performance wise?  Because I know requerying
just won't be acceptable because of recordset size.

Again, thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

- Marcus