[AccessD] OT:Turning off Internet Access in Win2000

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Tue May 6 22:07:45 CDT 2003

Hi Julie:

You have to do it all at the Windows2000 server end, in the IIS, hopefully
5.x. This is where you can create sites, re-direct, set access privileges
etc.. etc.

The main module that does all the setting is called Computer Management. In
there you set up the users, add to users to name groups, set their
privileges, the local Users and Groups section then on to the Internet
Informations Services, where you set up sites and virtual sites and if those
sites are to be accessed from the web, back to the DNS section, your server
and the Forward looking Zones. In the Forward looking Zones is where you
setup your sub web directories. Example: http://julie.pro-soft.net or
http://managers.pro-soft.net.

There can be dozens of site created each with their own rights and
privileges. If you are not hosting your own domain then you have to add an
entry for each sub web directory at the ISP Domain host like 'julie' and
'managers'. If you are only doing internal stuff (intranet) the previous
sentence can be ignored.

There, as you might imagine is a whole bunch of little pieces but this
should get you started.

HTH
Jim