[AccessD] Getting Email from Linked Outlook Contacts

John Ruff papparuff at attbi.com
Wed May 7 20:14:23 CDT 2003

Stuart,

I was able to link to my Contacts folder and see the email addresses with no
problems so I'm not sure why you can't see yours. However, you can also use
Automation to get the addresses:

Public Function GetContact(Optional strName As String) As String
    Dim objOlApp As Outlook.Application
    Dim objNameSpace As Outlook.NameSpace
    Dim objFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder
    Dim objItems As Outlook.Items
    Dim strFullName As String
    Dim strEmail As String
    Dim objContact As Outlook.ContactItem
    Dim i As Integer

    Set objOlApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Set objNameSpace = objOlApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    Set objFolder = objNameSpace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)
    Set objItems = objFolder.Items

    If strName = "" Then
        ' This prints all the contacts in the contacts list
        For i = 1 To objItems.Count
            On Error Resume Next
            Debug.Print objItems.Item(i).FullName
            Debug.Print objItems.Item(i).Email1Address
        Next i
        Err = 0
    Else
        ' This prints the info for a specific contact
        With objFolder.Items(strName)
            strFullName = .FullName
            strEmail = .Email1Address
        End With
        GetContact = strFullName & "\" & strEmail
    End If

    Set objItems = Nothing
    Set objFolder = Nothing
    Set objNameSpace = Nothing
    Set objOlApp = Nothing

End Function

John V. Ruff - The Eternal Optimist :-)
Always Looking For Contract Opportunities

Home: 253.588.2139
Cell: 253.307/2947
9306 Farwest Dr SW
Lakewood, WA 98498

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
                and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3