[AccessD] scheduling

Michael Maddison michael.maddison at ddisolutions.com.au
Wed May 14 01:19:53 CDT 2003

William,

I use surge protectors in my fuse box too...  however...
About 18 months ago my work pc at home got zapped real good.  A direct
hit on  the phone connection thingie out the front of my house
and it wiped out all the phones up and down the street and also my
modem, motherboard, hdd circuits etc :-(((  Now I leave the PC
turned on but unplug the modem when storms threaten (rarely).  I managed
to save my data because I had 2 modems exactly
the same model, one had my work data on it, the other was sitting in the
cupboard cos I had replaced it.  I unscrewed the circuit board
at the bottom and swapped em over.  Still works like a dream :-)

cheers

Michael M

...the better solution is to install real electrical surge protectors at
your electrical panels rather than the toy suppressors we all have for
our computers and phones ...most of those sold at computer/office
outlets can't handle more than a short, mild surge ...for areas like
south Florida where we get frequent lightning storms you need much more
...the ones we have in our main panel and phone distribution block cost
$300+ but handle over 26MVA surges ...anything but a direct hit
...before we installed them we had constant hits on our computers
despite each having their own suppressors ...after installation, I've
been able to work through the worst storms ...as long as power stays on,
I can without worrying ...HTH :)

...of course if I needed a handy excuse to take off this time of year
anyway, yours would work :))))

William Hindman