[AccessD] RE: Public/Private Property statements (WAS: <no subject>)

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Mon May 19 09:57:26 CDT 2003

On 16 May 2003 at 15:35, Brett Barabash wrote:

> That raises a good question, since I am not from the elite OO camp,
> I'd like to know this: Is it considered a bad practice to refer to the
> underlying variable within a class directly?

I usually Use Me.PropertyName within the class. It makes it more self
documenting and easier for me to understand when I come back to it
later.

Is it bad practice to reference the actual variables? For some it may
be, but I see no obvious harm in it.

I use the properties, just in case down the road I change the logic
in the Let/Get, then I only have to change the code in one spot and
not all over the place.

> Bryan, no need to apologize.  You may have stirred up an interesting
> discussion, even if by accident.

Stirring thing up is a hobby of mine :-))

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes. - Japanese proverb