[AccessD] Grab Filenames

A.D.Tejpal ad_tp at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 12:12:23 CDT 2003

    My earlier testing of John's code (ref my previous message dated 20-May-2003) was based upon setting  .FileType as msoFileTypeAllFiles (commenting out the line related to .FileName).

    On further testing of this code, certain relevant findings are given below -

    (a) If the line [ .FileName = "*.mda; *.mdb; *.mde; *.ldb" ] is  enabled (instead of the one related to .FileType) the result of search count is zero.
        Reason - No match is possible for above type of string.
        Solution - Use homogeneous string without delimiters.e.g.
                         .FileName = "*.mdb"

    (b) Starting letter of folder name does not matter.

    (c) If any of the file names has special characters(quite often the case with web documents), there is an error message reg syntax error, the loop is exited and no further information gets inserted in the table. Sometimes this problem occurs for date fields as well. Moreover, the cursor remains stuck indefinitely in the hourglass mode.
        Reason - SQL string does not get concatenated properly.
        Solution - Avoid use of SQL string as the likelihood of unforeseen syntax complications can never be completely ruled out. In lieu rst.Add method could be considered.
    Note - As an experiment, the code was run after modifying the SQL so as to insert "A" for FilePath and "B" for FileName fields only, ignoring the date fields. There was no problem. Approx 7,000 files were found in all (main folder plus subfolders).The numbers shown in the message box tallied with the records appended to the table.

    John may like to modify the code suitably, addressing the points brought out above and distribute the revised version. While doing so, he may consider incorporating folder browsing feature so that there is no need for editing code module (for starting folder path).

Regards,
A.D.Tejpal