[AccessD] HyperLinks

Doug Murphy doug at murphyscreativity.com
Mon May 26 20:01:31 CDT 2003

Hello List,

I have a question on the use of hyperlinks to point to files.  I have a
database that exists in a directory; C:\My Files\DBdirectory for
example.  In this directory there is a subdirectory holding files.  The
database has a table with a hyperlink field in it that contains the
relative path to a file in the subdirectory.  In other words the path to
a file might be subdirectory\filename.

It is my understanding that the hyperlink should contain the full path
to a file such as C:\My Files\DBdirectory\subdirectory\File name.  The
interesting thing is if I double click on the hyperlink the file will
open even though the hyperlink holds only the path relative to the
database.  Is this the way it is supposed to work or is this a feature
of hyperlinks in being able to resolve relative paths?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to extract the path to the file
from the hyperlink and do a file copy.  This doesn't work with the
relative path as you would expect.  If there is more info in the
hyperlink than I am extracting that would give the full path how do I
get to it?

Thanks.

Doug