[AccessD] Count of Unique Records

Mark Boyd MarkBoyd at McBeeAssociates.com
Wed May 28 10:13:30 CDT 2003

Susan -

This is pretty much what my 1st query does.

I then have a 2nd query that counts these records for a total count of
unique records.

What I want to do is only use 1 query that will return the number '3'.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Harkins [mailto:harkins at iglou.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 10:59 AM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Count of Unique Records

Sure.

SELECT Count(field)

FROM datasource

GROUP BY field

	----- Original Message -----

	From: Mark Boyd <mailto:MarkBoyd at mcbeeassociates.com>

	To: AccessD at databaseadvisors.com

	Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 10:35 AM

	Subject: [AccessD] Count of Unique Records

	I have a table with the following records:

	John

	John

	Bill

	Bob

	I need to find out how many unique records there are.

	My current approach is 1 query grouping the above table.

	Then, I get a count of grouped records with a 2nd query.

	Is there a way to avoid using 2 queries for this?

	The above is obviously an example.  The table actually holds
thousands and thousands of records.

	Thanks,

	Mark Boyd

	Sr. Systems Analyst