[AccessD] Weakest Link

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 2 11:29:48 CST 2003

****inline :)

William Hindman
<http://www.freestateproject.org> - Next Year In The Free State!

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Colby" <jcolby at colbyconsulting.com>
To: "Access Developers discussion and problem solving"
<accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 10:19 AM
Subject: RE: [AccessD] Weakest Link

> William,
>
> >...yes he can run multiple nics, but why the extra h/w ...you can run
> multiple subnets off the same NT nic
>
> In the end the bandwidth at the connector of the NIC is 100 mbits.  Two
NICS

****and you think an NT server can service two 100Mb nets any faster?

> >and he can certainly run multiple co-located servers with one be without
> replication
>
> What the hell is a co-located server?  There is an MDB that all 25
> workstations are trying to get data out of, a single file.

****one server doing OS functions while a co-located one works as the file
server with most of its processor and memory dedicated to servicing your be.

> >...your real issue appears to be db performance
>
> This is absolutely true.  They want to so some stuff that just pulls a lot
> of data however, and in this kind of situation a lot of data is a lot of
> bandwidth times a lot of users.

****hard to believe that a 100Mb lan is b/w limited w/25 users regardless of
the db demands ...the real limit is almost always in the processor, memory,
and/or HD access ...none of which are affected by how many nics you are
using ...by your theory, I could just add a nic any old time I needed to
speed things up :)
William

> John W. Colby
> www.colbyconsulting.com

BE
> if
> > we don't get into replication.  The server is Windows NT, not even 2K.
He