[AccessD] EDI data file

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 15:34:21 CST 2003

Rusty,

>> The (very) limited help on the web site where we download the file from says we need to use a conversion program to get the X12 file to a readable format. Any help would be much appreciated. <<

Welcome to EDI. In the past three weeks I've visited a few dozen EDI sites trying to get some good examples so that I can do that very thing you're talking about. I'd had some limited EDI experience in the past. My client wants a more customized solution without having to buy a full-bore EDI package that includes every document type under the sun.

The amount of help is, indeed, very limited. There are no books on EDI at the library. Barnes & Noble doesn't stock any. On top of that, just last week I discovered that a sizeable component of good EDI programs is the error-trapping; that is, an X12 file can have errors in it. If your software doesn't allow for that, then you have junk.

EDI specs are difficult to translate into a neat and orderly relational model. So you'd have quite a task making up tables to represent the EDI "model."

I found a company that provides a moderately-priced tool to read and translate EDI transactions using a Windows object model. Thus you can roll your own EDI software and use the classes provided for EDI transactions just as you use any other class. They provide samples in VB, Delphi, C++.NET, and FoxPro. I used their 60-day eval program to detect an error in transmission of a test X12 Purchase Order for a project I'm doing for a client of mine.

The product is called Framework EDI. The Professional version is $950. There's an "Enterprise" and "Universal" version, too. I've persuaded my client to bite the bullet and buy it since he'd have to pay me a lot more to code something that wouldn't work nearly so well. Here's the web site:

http://www.edidev.com/

Of course, there are tons of EDI software sites on the web. This one was different in that it offered a developer's toolbox sort of thing rather than a complete package from A-Z.

Good luck!

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing