[AccessD] Hourly Backups Of Access Data

Ken Ismert KIsmert at TexasSystems.com
Mon Nov 3 19:00:49 CST 2003

Paul,

The critical issue I see with Jet is that you can't guarantee that your
backup data will be in a consistent state while users are in the database.
Jet simply can't be trusted to keep everything straight with the read/write
locks or cascade updates/deletes that could be in progress when you initiate
your backup.

This applies as much to backing up the mdb files as it would to any of the
other proposed solutions, in my opinion.

If live backups are an overriding concern, consider moving your backend to
MSDE/SQL Server. With its transaction logging and dynamic backup
capabilities, you can implement a much more reliable and transparent backup
policy.

Otherwise, kick 'em out!

See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300216
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnacc2k/htm
l/acmsdeop.asp

-Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: John Bartow [mailto:john at winhaven.net]
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 12:08 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: RE: [AccessD] Hourly Backups Of Access Data

Paul,
I just looked at my backup routine but it won't work for you, uses
CompactDatabase. Guess I should create a new one.

(Thinking out loud here) how about:
Create a routine to export all of the tables and data to a new DB. That
shouldn't affect any of the users.

Create a seperate routine that clears the tables and imports/appends it all
back in just in case you need to restore the data. If that case arises it
would probably mean the users can't get in anyway - otherwise you would have
to kick them all out.

This would alleviate worrying about relationships, etc.